Pages

Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Carolina on my mind



John and I had two choices for a route out of Savannah this morning: northwest to Asheville and Blue Ridge Parkway or stay along coastal route. Because a severe storm system is heading our way and Asheville was under a tornado watch, we decided to stay east.

We enjoyed a quiet breakfast on the veranda of our hotel overlooking Forsyth Park.

We drove over the bridge out of Savannah and into South Carolina.  What were the first three things we saw in South Carolina? (and I'm not making this up)

1. A fireworks superstore
2. A "gentlemen's club" 
3. A giant billboard advertising an indoor shooting range where one could fire a fully automatic machine gun. (I wanted to stop here but John said I would shoot my foot off).

I love the south.

We drove hwy 17 thru the "low country".  We passed cypress swamps and pine forests.


We detoured up to hwy 61 to follow the Ashley river road into a Charleston.  Along the way we saw three plantations: Drayton Hall, Middleton Place, and Magnolia.  Magnolia Plantation was very pet friendly.  One could even take dogs into the plantation house (but we didn't).  We did tour the amazing gardens, and Poppy was itching to chase the birds.






We headed into Charleston, another beautiful city.  John and I had both been to Charleston before so we spent only a couple of hours there this time.





 I love both Savannah and Charlston, but I'd say Savannah feels more "gothic" and Charleston more "genteel".  I much prefer Savannah, but both are lovely.

We took hwy 17 out of Charleston thru more pine forests until we came to the sprawl called Myrtle Beach.  I think Myrtle Beach must be a "sister city" to Daytona Beach and will say no more.

We detoured down to Cape Fear but missed the last ferry crossing so tonight we stay in a Comfort Suites in Southport before crossing via ferry in the morning and heading into Wilmington.  The good news is we finally have a king bed so all four of us will be together.



p.s.  I almost forgot the best news. We are trading in Vanna for an upgraded bitchin' ride I saw. SahWeet!  
Ladies be lovin this. 
Um, on second thought, maybe we will stick with Vanna.


I love the south.



2 comments:

  1. So great to be living vicariously through you again. The pictures are super. You must have been a photographer in a former life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mark, you'd really look good in that "bitchin' ride!"

    ReplyDelete